Most modern awards contain “annual close-down” clause which states you can direct employees to take annual leave during close down over Christmas by giving them four week’s written notice. The same provision applies to award and agreement-free employees.
What if my employees don’t have enough leave accrued to cover this period?
- Check your award or agreement as some allow for a written agreement to take leave in advance of it being accrued
- An employee may agree to take unpaid leave however unless your award or agreement clearly states otherwise, a permanent employee cannot be forced to do so
The 2017 end of year public holidays fall on weekdays, meaning there will be no additional public holiday days provided this year:
Queensland Public Holidays
- Monday 25th December 2017 – Christmas Day
- Tuesday 26th December 2017 – Boxing Day
- Monday 1st January 2018 – New Years Day
A full list of the Queensland public holidays can be found here:
The Employer Assistance Team are taking some time off this year with skeleton staff working normal operating hours between the Christmas public holiday and New Years Day. During this time, it is best to contact the EA Team for advice via email – firstname.lastname@example.org and an Advisor will either call or email you back with a response to your query.
Please contact us as early as possible if you have any questions around rostering and penalty rates that apply to staff who may be working on these public holidays. As the full team will not be working, response times could be longer so please allow a minimum 24 hours for a response.
If you are not sure about your obligations regarding Christmas leave, contact the CCIQ Employer Assistance team on 1300 135 822.